Sunday, March 1, 2009

Character Blog 1

The main character in Caramelo is Lala Reyes. She is Mexican and lives in Chicago. Every summer, her family travels to Mexico. She loves both Mexico and Chicago. She has a very large family (6 siblings and 6 cousins). Lala is able to describe everything she sees very well. It makes it a lot easier to imagine what is going on. Lala also has a very good memory. It is so good that she can even remember events that happened before she was born! Well, really she just remembers the stories, but someone always has to correct her to make sure she mentions that she wasn't alive yet. Or that she was too little to remember what happened. She is influenced by Awful Grandmother, both directly and indirectly. Father always does exactly what Awful Grandmother tells him to do, and sometimes Awful Grandmother bosses Lala around, as well. Because of this she spent one whole year without her brother, Rafa, because he stayed in Mexico to learn more Spanish. Lala also had to get all of her hair chopped off at Awful Grandmother's orders.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that Lala's descriptive narration helps the reader understand the story. It's funny that she claims to remember events before her birth. I sometimes have the same feeling of remembering something from a story I've heard and thinking I was actually there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the same happens to me. And every time someone tells a story, some aspect of it changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happens to me too! I had this happen most when I was younger (out of my fifty-some cousins, I don't have a single one near my age) and I think it's just a thing where kids want to be included.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like that you counted her cousins and siblings! I think if I made a family tree, it would be less confusing. Especially because real names and nicknames are used - it's hard to keep track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the family tree. Lala's big, confusing family is another thing I feel like I have in common with her. Whenever my family goes to big reunions I don't know who half of the people are! Unlike me, Lala is very connected to all of her family and it seems like she knows all the details of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does the "Awful Grandmother" live with them? And why does she have to get her hair chopped off?

    ReplyDelete