Friday, March 27, 2009

Post 5: Overall reaction

Caramelo was an enjoyable book to read. It was difficult to get into at first, having to adjust to the writing style and getting over the “choppiness” as Karen mentioned. But after getting further into the book, I became more interested in its plot. I decided that I liked having most of the book written from Lala’s point of view. It allowed the reader to have a new outlook on situations and to experience some interesting “scene setting”. I loved going through the occasional in-depth description of setting – even though these could be pages long, I actually liked them. They made the book and the world inside of it so much more alive. The writing style and point of view were probably the most unique parts of the book, second, of course, to the Spanish culture it was infused with. It’s not the greatest book that I have ever read, but it was a good one. Lighter reading, but still intriguing… I would definitely recommend Caramelo!

No comments:

Post a Comment